Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Endless potatoes...

Where to begin... today was a wonderful day. We started at Pat's Feeding Program this morning helping to provide food to about 300 elderly and HIV+ people. I met a great girl from Mexico who just graduated from college and is spending 6 months in Africa by herself. She's beginning with a month at Brackenhurst volunteering with African Impact. Then, she's heading to another part of Kenya to work in an orphanage for a month (living there, eating only 2 meals a day). Next, she's living with a family in Kibera slum for a month, and finishing her time in Kenya with a month living in a Masai village. What an experience! Then she's spending a month in Tanzania and another month in South Africa.

After the feeding program, we went to the Center and Patrick took Karen and me to visit John's new school. Wow! It is beautiful! It's located up in the hilly tea country where the views are breathtaking. Many of you know that David and I felt led to send John (who is very bright) to a private school nearby so that he would have more educational opportunities. The school year in Kenya starts in January each year, so he's just getting settled in. I enjoyed meeting his teacher and his fellow classmates (there are only 8 students in the class). He loves his new school and the headmaster said that he is doing very well.

We spent the afternoon distributing godparent gifts to the boarders. Another beautiful experience. We took each one of the 45 kids into a room privately, presented their gifts, and prayed over them. Kimberly took video and photos to share with the godparents. The children were so happy.

The painting is turning out beautifully. Kimberly stayed at the LCC all day and painted today. She is so artistic and the rooms are turning out so nice. The moms picked the colors and they are thrilled with the results.

For those of you who have been praying, my sleep is finally getting better as I adjust to the 9 hour time difference. I'm missing home and family some but am so happy to be here.

Almost forgot to explain the title of this post... while waiting for Patrick to take me to John's school, I helped the moms prepare lunch. I peeled potatoes - endless potatoes. Can you imagine how many tiny potatoes you have to peel to make lunch for over 100 kids? I sure didn't... I kept thinking that we were pulling from the entire potato storage bin - not that we had to peel the entire bin for one meal. Humbling because the moms could peel three in the time it took me to peel one. After about an hour of solid peeling, I have a perfect blister on my index finger to remind me of the experience. Enough whining... I'm off to bed. Love to all...


No comments:

Post a Comment